Monday, February 20, 2012

The FFA Creed: Part 1

In honor of National FFA Week, the plan is to blog about one paragraph of the FFA Creed each day this week. (I was given the idea from a fellow AGvocater. Check out her snapshots of agriculture at  https://www.facebook.com/lens.of.a.farm.girl or  http://www.erinehnle.com/proofing/pages.php?gid=38.) 

The FFA Creed 
By E.M. Tiffany

1st Paragraph:
"I believe in the future of agriculture, with a faith born not of words but of deeds - achievements won by the present and past generations of agriculturists; in the promise of better days through better ways, even as the better things we now enjoy have come to us from the struggles of former years."

Photo Credit- Keeping it Real: Through the Lens of a Farm Girl (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.335599573149421.73932.309663002409745&type=1)

As 7th graders, my Ag instructor made us all memorize the FFA Creed and present it to the class. I don't know about the rest of you, but that was EXTREMELY nerve-racking for me.  Public speaking wasn't exactly my strongest suit..heck, I don't think I even had a public speaking bone in my body at that time?!  We took it one paragraph at a time, presenting one of the five each day, and then the last day we gave all five.  I remember pacing back in forth in my room, reading and reciting, trying to get everything memorized.  To be completely honest, memorizing the creed was very difficult for me!

Now, as a senior, and a very active member of the West Boyd FFA Chapter, I realize why I had such an issue with this 7th grade Ag assignment.  I was just memorizing the words; I wasn't taking the time to actually appreciate what E.M. Tiffany meant as he put all of these ideals together.  I took the creed to be just a bunch of someone else's beliefs.  As I have gotten older and found my true passions in life, I know that these are not just the beliefs of E.M. Tiffany, these beliefs are mine as well.  

~*~"I believe in the future of agriculture": In my opinion, there could not be a more powerful way to start the creed!  Not only are those 6 words powerful, they are oh so exciting! The future of the agricultural industry is one that is always changing, always improving.  I'll say it once, and I'll proudly say it again...without agriculture, the food on your table, clothes on your back, and fuel in your car would be, well, non-existent.  

~*~"with a faith born not of words but of deeds": Agriculturalists...we don't just talk the talk, we walk the walk!  While anti-agricultural groups, such as the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), may think they can outsmart us, they are wrong.  We have faith in the agricultural industry and we are ready and willing to fight for what we know is right!   

~*~"achievements won by the present and past generations of agriculturalists; in the promise of better days through better ways, even as the better things we now enjoy have come to us from the struggles of former years.": We are where we are today because of the trials and triumphs of those who have gone on before us.  By talking to my parents and grandparents I have realized how truly lucky I am today.  Yes, we have our share of difficulties, and they are ones that my great-grandpa would have never imagined us having, but we will take these difficulties in stride, just as past generations have.  One must understand where they have been before they can plan where they are going.  It is my goal as an agriculturalist to do my part in making a positive impact in the agricultural industry for the betterment of future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment